Free Advice

2 February 2016 M & K Projects Limited General 0


Do I need a consent?


If you’re planning a construction activity, or an activity that affects the environment, you may need to apply for a building consent, resource consent, or both. On this page you’ll find information about the types of activity that require consent, how to determine if you need a consent, and why Auckland Council issues consents.


Building consents

A Building Consent is for a construction activity, and establishes that your planned building work complies with the Building Act 2004 and the Building Code.

If you build without a building consent, you may be liable for a fine. You may also have trouble selling or insuring the building in the future.

We cannot issue building consents retrospectively, although you can apply for a certificate of acceptance.

Here are some examples of work that requires a consent:


any structural building including new buildings, additions, alterations, accessory buildings (sheds), and re-piling

plumbing and drainage

heating (fireplaces), ventilation and air conditioning systems

siteworks for a building

retaining walls higher than 1.5 metres, or retaining walls with a building or driveway near the top

fences higher than 2.5 metres and any swimming pool fence

swimming pools

decks more than 1.5 metres from ground level.


Resource consents

A Resource Consent is for an activity that affects the environment.

The rules that set out what activities may or may not need a resource consent are laid out in the district and regional plans of the former councils, and theProposed Auckland Unitary Plan.

Some rules in the Unitary Plan already apply – see rules that apply now for details.

Prepared under the Resource Management Act, these plans control the effects of activities and development on the environment.

Auckland Council may take a range of enforcement actions against people or businesses who breach the rules set out in the plans, ranging from infringement notices to prosecution.

The kinds of activities that may require a resource consent include:


building a new house or making additions or alterations

subdividing a property

building or other activities in the coastal marine area

pruning, removing or working near a protected tree

building a swimming pool

discharging wastewater or stormwater

discharging pollution into the air

incinerating, cremating or burning outdoors.

(Taken from Auckland Council Website)

Leave a Reply


Recent Posts